Low memory installation

  I have a 386/4M that I want to install Debian on.  I have copied all
the required boot files (directory disks-i386) to the 386 through a
parallel cable.  When booting (using the standard install.bat) the
process stops with the message "invalid compressed format (err=1)".  As
I've used this image to install Debian on another PC, I assume this
problem is caused by too little memory.

  The documentation gives instructions for low memory installs, but
unfortunately they require a floppy drive which this machine doesn't
have.  Is there any way I can install Debian on this machine?  It has
plenty of disk space I could use for virtual memory, if only it booted
into Linux...

  TIA,
  Gertjan.

--