Re: undefined symbol: _fxstat when using NAG FORTRAN with potato (only)

   Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 18:13:34 -0400
   From: David Gaudine <david@annette.concordia.ca>

   I have an application that runs fine on hamm and slink, but on potato
   it says
      undefined symbol: _fstat

   The application was compiled with NAG FORTRAN 95, and the
   symbol is referenced by a shared library that was provided
   with the compiler.  I've verified that _fstat is a system routine
   of some sort, not a NAG routine.  Does anyone know more specifically
   where it comes from, and in what way it has changed between slink
   and potato?  (If indeed it has changed; I may just not be able to
   link with it.)
   After looking at some web pages that are way over
   my head, all I could determine is that it has something to do with
   gcc and/or libc6.

   I've reported my problem to NAG, but I expect better results here
   because it's Linux that's changed recently, not the compiler.

libc6 FAQ

2.7.	Looking through the shared libc file I haven't found the
	functions `stat', `lstat', `fstat', and `mknod' and while
	linking on my Linux system I get error messages.  How is
	this supposed to work?

{RM} Believe it or not, stat and lstat (and fstat, and mknod) are supposed
to be undefined references in libc.so.6!  Your problem is probably a missing
or incorrect /usr/lib/libc.so file; note that this is a small text file now,
not a symlink to libc.so.6.  It should look something like this:

GROUP ( libc.so.6 libc_nonshared.a )

OK