Re: [DEBIAN] version of tar that does bzip2

Hi Nico,

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 10:33:28AM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> is there a version of tar somewhere that will recognize bzip2
> compression?  I don't like untarring in two passes :-)

bzip2 -dc <filename>.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -

works with any tar; bzip2 -d uncompresses and -c sends output to stdout
(the pipe), tar -f -  reads stdin (the pipe) as input.
This does not leave and uncompressed file around, the original
compresseed tar-archive is left untouched.

So long -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
                        *** Spare in der Schweiz, dann hast Du in der Not. ***