Re: I worry...

On 02 Jun 1999, Christian Dysthe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not really know if this belongs here, but I could not find anywhere else
> seeming more "appropriate" for this than among Debian users.
>
> I have chosen Debian for my personal use, lately my company has chosen Debian
> on several servers (including our web server), and we have suddenly become very
> dependent on all these people out there making Debian so damn good (mostly for
> free).
>
> Then I keep reading and seeing the "commercial" distributions, especially RH
> rushing forward trying to position themselves in a market where they obviously
> see the opportunity to make big bucks. And with the big bucks comes all the
> nastiness of high finance business, and I am afraid one of these will "win" and
> leave the ones that chose quality and versatile over hype in a jam because all
> the talented people in the Linux world suddenly see the possiblilty to make
> money, and a lot of it.
>
> We had a hard time finding someone willing to do our Debian server. All
> of the ones we contaced to get our web server built told us they felt "more
> confident doing a RH install" or they said: "RH is pretty strong in this ares",
> and some of them even had some nifty deals for us if we chose RH. How will the
> Debian community be able to fight in a market like this in the future?
>
> I dread a situation where Debian becomes a distribuion based on what RH
> employees contribute on their spare time.
>
> Please tell me I am wrong! :)

One suggestion, if you're worried, is to make a voluntary donation to
Debian. Most of the vendors of Debian disks offer the facility to do this
when you buy the disks; a Good Thing IMO.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: www.achc.demon.co.uk/bookreviews/

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)