Re: Changing IP address

Doug Thistlethwaite wrote:

> IPADDR .103
> NETMASK 255.255.255.240
> NETWORK=.96
> BROADCAST= .111
> GATEWAY= .101
>
> on my linux system.  The thought was that I could use 4 bits to define
> my network (FF.FF.FF.F0) and with the number 101, 102, 103, it would
> define the block between .96 and .111
>
> Unfortunately, after I changed each system to these settings, the
> network still behaved in the same way.
>
> Can I know the pipeline 50 has filters, DHCP, NAT, and other fancy
> features.  Unfortunately, I do not have a manual for the device.

Maybe I can help you on that, anyway, since I have a Pipeline 75.  You
*can* telnet to your router to set it up, right?

How does the router know when something is outside his subnet and he
needs to dial out?  Look at Configure/MyAddr.  You'd set that up as
204.178.54.101/29, so now the router knows what his address and subnet
is.  Also, set Configure/RemAddr to 204.178.54.253/29, and set the
appropriate phone number (which I imagine you've already done).

I'm actually not sure if you have to do the following if you only have
one connection profile, but you should give it a look.  Probably the Lan
Addrs on the connection profile has already been done automatically, and
the Default/Gateway stuff *is* necessary.

Look at Ethernet/Connections/<connection-name>/IP options/Lan
Addrs=x.x.x.x

for your connection profile to the ISP.  I believe for what you're
wanting to do, Lan Addrs should be 204.178.54.253/29, since it's *his*
subnet that you'd be dialing out to.

Even more importantly, look at Ethernet/Static Rtes/Default/Gateway.
Set that value to 204.178.54.253.  That makes it so that any IP address
the router sees that is outside his subnet needs to go through a gateway
of 204.178.54.253, which is in the subnet that you just set up the
connection profile for.

If you can get this router config stuff straight, you should at least be
able to inhibit the unnecessary outgoing calls.  If you're still getting
outgoing calls, then you probably need to do things like look at the
output of tcpdump -ttn to see what addresses are causing the callouts,
and getting debug output from named, to see what's making him do stupid
lookups (this is where NetBIOS stuff from Win95 comes in).  Just as a
clue here, make sure your domain name on your Windows machine is set to
be the same as your Linux server.  A mismatch there often causes stupid
DNS lookups.

Now on your Linux machine, you'll need 204.178.54.101 (your router
address) as the gateway, but I think you already know that.

> Thanks for the help,
>
> Doug

Your welcome.  :-)