RE: Changing IP address

  Samba sends out broadcast packets saying what services it has available to
the network. If the netmask is set incorrectly the other machines on the
network don't get the broadcast and don't see the machine in network
neighborhood.  Your router is dialing out 'cuse it thinks that the machine
is on a different network and is trying to reach it through the net.  The
only samba  setting that needs an ip (I think) is the 'win server'.

255.255.255.248 gives a range of 8 IPs, with six usable IPs (first is
network ip, last is broadcast).

--Dano