Re: We need centralized accounts -- Any docs for ldap passwords?

On 31 May 1999, Rob Browning wrote:

> OK, so it sounds like we just need shadow/passwd/group support, and as
> far as I can tell we should be mostly good to go if we
>
>   1) firewall access to the ldap server from outside our subnet.
>   2) import etc/group and passwd via migrate_<foo>.pl
>   3) edit our nssswitch.conf as directed in /usr/doc/libnss-ldap/README
>   4) cross our fingers.

Well, it seems to work well for me (though so far only on a test machine).

> What I don't really know is how doing this interacts with the normal
> mechanisms.  I would presume that we can just use LDAP for user
> accounts, and leave the system accounts in /etc/passwd, etc.

That's a logical thing to do. You might also want to set mail-clients use
this ldap for mail address searching.

> I'm
> guessing from the nsswitch entry it'll just fall back to that if LDAP
> fails on a given lookup, but how does LDAP interact with adduser,
> userdel, addgroup, /usr/bin/passwd, etc.  Does it update the right
> things, or do we have to do manual synchs?

libpam-ldap will allow password change. The rest have to be done manually
(or through some customized software. I am considering Ganymede.)
Although there is a nice package pam-mkhomedir that will automatically
create homedirs (and copy /etc/skel stuff) if it does not exist.

> If the latter, then it seems like it might be worth us considering not
> using LDAP at all, and just whipping up some ssh synch thingy for
> these bits...

You'll sure have to weight various pro and cons of both approaches. Ldap
will just allow more things to use it for.

Sergey.