Re: Floppy drive problem.

On Sat, 29 May 1999, N. Raghavendra wrote:

> I am a Debian newbie and have the following problem with my
> floppy drives.  There are two of them: a 1.44 MB floppy drive
> and an unused 1.2 MB floppy drive.  In the BIOS setup I have
> configured the 1.44 MB drive as A: and the other floppy drive as
> B:. But Linux seems to reverse this order: it sees the 1.2 MB
> drive as the first floppy drive (/dev/fd0) and the 1.44 MB one
> as the second floppy drive (/dev/fd1).
>
> One consequence of this is that at the end of installing Debian
> (hamm), I was unable to make a custom boot disk for my system,
> because when the installation program asked me to insert a blank
> floppy, I put a 1.44 MB floppy in the drive, and it said
> something like "Making boot floppy failed. Check that the floppy
> isn't write-protected and is in the correct drive". The same
> thing happened when I tried the mkboot command later on.

> Is there a way of making Linux see my 1.44 MB drive as /dev/fd0
> and the other one as /dev/fd1? I apologize in case this is an
> old question, already answered.

>Raghavendra

>During bootup and reading the boot sector, it is the >BIOS that has
>control. Once booted, Linux sees the only hardware, >not the BIOS
>settings.  It appears that the first drive on your >floppy cable is
>the 1.2 MB drive. If this is the case, the only fix I >see is to
>open your box and switch the connectors on the two >drives.
Actually you could remove and recreate the /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1
entries, swapping the major-minor numbers of fd0 with fd1 (so
/dev/fd0-> /dev/fd1 and visa versa).
If this isn't the case, I haven't a clue.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (Hope this qualifies.)

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze