pb with Apache and directory indexes

Hello.
I have downloaded and compiled the last version of Apache (1.3.6).
It works well, but I have a problem.

I would like to see the index of my directory public_html

For example, I have my address : http://mypc/~fabien/
If I put index.html in my public_html, it works.
but, if I don't put one, I have "forbidden access".

I have seen in the manual, that we must put Options Indexes for this to
work.
This is what I've done, and also restarted apache.
this is my config :

UserDir public_html

<Directory /*/public_html>
    IndexOptions FancyIndexing
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

It should work, no ?

And, it's not a compilation or a module problem. If I try to make a
directory in htdocs, I can ses its contents in http://mypc/test/

So, I don't understand :-(

Thank you for your help...

Fabien SALVI             Centre de Ressources Informatiques
                        Centre Universitaire et de Recherche
                                   74166 Archamps
                           http://www.cri.cur-archamps.fr