Re: Ishmail (mail client) now GPLed

"J.H.M. Dassen" <jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
=>
=> The source is now available as
=> ftp://ftp.ishmail.com/pub/ishmail/src.tar.gz
=> A quick grep through it shows it to be GPLv2, with possibly a very
=> few
=> differently-licensed files.
=>
=> Hopefully someone will step forward to offer a new home (WWW, FTP,
=> CVS,
=> lists) for it, so it will not splinter.

I hope so too. I downloaded the source and tried compiling it. I have
lesstif and also the libc5 motif run-time libs so I did anticipate
problems. I was surprised how far the compilation process went, but
ultimately it stopped with this error:

make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.a', needed by
`linux/ishmail.shx'.  Stop.

I got the same problem with the static and shmx versions. I do have
libXmu.a in the above directory so I assume it has to do with me having
lesstif and not motif.

Oh well, it would have been nice to have a glibc2 version!

Does the Motif license allow someone else to compile a dynamic or static
version of a Motif app to redistribute to others?

Cheers.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net