RE: getting out of fvwm

I renamed its start script:

cd /etc/rc2.d		// for the standard runlvel,e.g.
mv S99xdm _99xdm
mv S99gdm _99gdm		// this is Gnome's X-login manager, if you have it

There are a few others like kdm (KDE) for example. They usually end in 'dm'.
Only init-scripts with the 'S' are started, that goes for everything in
there...

Cheers
Christian Pernegger

<snip>

> > > Also when I exit from fvwm, refuses to exit to
> > > the commandline. I'm back at that darn login
> > > window again. Even <ctrl-alt-backspace>
> > > won't get me out.
> >
> > You have installed xdm.  This gives you the X login screen.  To get out
> > of X, type ctrl-alt-F1 and you should have a command-line login prompt.
> > If you do not want to have the xdm login in the future, type (as root)
> >
> > dpkg -r xdm
>
> Surely it's possible to have it installed and still be able to choose
> whether to run it?

<snip>