Re: AIC7xxx not recognised

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Roy Coates wrote:

> Hi, I'm having a real problem getting a custom kernel to recognise
> an Adaptec 2940UW-Pro (AIC7xxx) controller on bootup.
>
> The kernel (2.0.36) has been configured with only the AIC7xxx driver
> as an internal module - no other scsi drivers have been selected.

> On bootup it simply refuses to recognise the scsi card, causes a
> kernel panic (unable to mount root FS) and I'm back to the drawing
> board.
>
> I've been building kernels (slackware & redhat) for some years now
> but I'm a newbie to debian. Any help would be very much appreciated.
> (I installed using the 'unoffical' AIC7xxx rescue disk kindly built

This may be no consolation if you want to stick to an old kernel, but I'm
also a Debian newbie using a 2.2.9 kernel compiled on a hacked Slackware
setup (but would not wish to be suspected of having be a Red Hat user:),
and my AIC-7880 is detected.

I don't think I've done anything Debian-specific... but I was appalled by
the Debian liloconfig, and edited /etc/lilo.conf by hand.  Presumably
you've done the same.

I've configured for another SCSI adapter as well and pass boot parameters
for it.  It shows up in the boot messages before the AIC-7880 which is
detected without hints.  The disk drives are on the AIC.  I'm using the
standard driver that comes with the kernel, not something 'unofficial'. :)

It comes up like this:
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.10/3.2.4
       <Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter>

Depending on how LILO works you may be able to use an append= for the
AIC7xxx even though you can't read the disk.  Check the boot something
HOWTO.  Or perhaps someone using it with 2.0.36 will pipe up.