Re: emacs confused about alt and meta <solved>

The answer to this is interesting and should be in the docs somewhere,
but I sure couldn't find it.

Emacs DOES NOT seem to care about KEYSYMs at all.  It is only interested
in the Modifiers.

As far as emacs is concerned  MOD1 = META and MOD4 = ALT
You can (using xmodmap) have MOD1 and MOD4 generated by whatever keysym
you want (Alt_L, Meta_R, underscore....).

SPECIFICS TO MY PROBLEM:
MOD1 was generated by Alt_R, MOD4 wasn't generated at all.

I hope this is of use to future generations :)

					-Michael

P.S.  Thanks for the help, Jens.