Re: HELP!!!

> Hi all,
>
> First of all I am a newbie.  Second I cleared my c: and wipped win and all
> files gone.  Not to upset about that, I just want to get Debian working.  I
> can log on as my superuser and user so I can access the program.

Hmm, what program? You mean Linux itself?

 I cannot
> seem to do much at the $.

Get a book like 'Linux in  a Nutshell". $ is a command prompt, hats where
you you type your commands.

I run dselect with my root account but cannot
> find the packages.cd.  I thought Debian had a graphical interface.

Debian has graphical interface, it's X. Just download all the needed
files/install from the CD, you will have all the GUI you need.

>  What
> might I be doing or have done that is wrong?  I get the error message
> /dev/hda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.

Unproper shutdown (Linux is sensitive to things like hitting reset/power
button). If you need to reboot, use 'reboot', if you need to shutdown, use
'poweroff'. Everything will be done for you (disk umounting, etc.)

Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 Scorpio@hushmail.com
 c680789@showme.missouri.edu