Re: HELP! apt stops working!

This is probably a bug in apt. I have already filled a bug report against it...

I guess your isp, or your internet connection is running a cisco web caching engine.

I soon discovered that apt still works with my other isp. I then investigated each
isp. One isp is not running proxy at all, the other one running a proxy using squid,
and the one does not work running a transparent web proxy using cisco web caching engine.

I don't know much about this kind of cisco product, but from your email address, you
probably know what is going on. If you know the details how the cisco thing works,
plz let the debian apt folks know...

I am sure this will be fixed soon...

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 01:12:18PM -0700, Deepak Nulu wrote:
> >Hi,
> >        apt works fine on my other machine without any problem. On my second
> >        machine, I have the same configuration, but it does not work.
> >
> >        The error is:
> >
> >        Get http://snowcrash.tdyc.com slink/rkrusty Packages
> >        0%  [Packages `Waiting for file' 0]http: Bad header line
> >
> >        gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> >        ERROR >http://snowcrash.tdyc.com/debian/dists/slink/rkrusty/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Bad >return code from subprocess
> >
> >        My sources.list looks like:
> >
> >        deb http://snowcrash.tdyc.com/debian slink rkrusty
> >

> >        Thanks.
> >
> >Shao.
>
> Hi Shao,
>
> I too get the above errors. I was trying to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1.
> Since X was reorganized to a great extent, I uninstalled xbase and
> everything that depended on it using dselect (purge "_" option).
> Then I downloaded the apt-get .deb package file and installed it.
> Then I tried apt-get update and I get these errors. I did not change
> any of the apt related files.
>
> Since that did not work, I upgraded using dselect. apt-get update
> still fails.
>
> Have you solved the problem or do you have any pointers. I would
> appreciate it if you could email me directly (since I am not
> subscribed to the mailing list; I found your email in the archives).
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> deepak

Shao Zhang - Running Debian 2.1  ___ _               _____
Department of Communications    / __| |_  __ _ ___  |_  / |_  __ _ _ _  __ _
University of New South Wales   \__ \ ' \/ _` / _ \  / /| ' \/ _` | ' \/ _` |
Email: shao@cia.com.au                                                  |___/