apt through unusual FTP proxy?

Hi

	I want to specify ftp sites for apt from behind my company's proxy,
but I can't get it working.  Does anyone have experience with "USER no PASS"
proxies?  The relevant portions of my sources.list and /etc/apt/apt.conf look
like the following right now:

-------------------- Begin ----------------------------
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US
deb http://debian.midco.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.varesearch.com/pub/mirrors/kde stable apps contrib distribution
deb http://ftp.netgod.net/ x/
--------------------- End ----------------------------

and

-------------------- Begin ----------------------------
  ftp
  {
    Proxy "ftp://147.113.146.220:21";;

    /* Required script to perform proxy login. */

    ProxyLogin
    {
//       "USER $(PROXY_USER)";
//       "PASS $(PROXY_PASS)";
//       "USER $(SITE_USER)@$(SITE) $(SITE_PORT)";
//       "PASS $(SITE_PASS)";
       "USER $(SITE_USER)@$(SITE)";// $(SITE_PORT)";
    };

    Timeout "100";

    /* Passive mode control, proxy, non-proxy and per-host. Pasv mode
       is prefered if possible */
//    Passive "true";
//    Proxy::Passive "true";
  };
--------------------- End ----------------------------

	This doesn't work.  I have tried all the suggested configutrations
in the sample apt.conf.  Different ones give me different error messages, but
as an example here is the error message from the current configuration:

-------------------- Begin ----------------------------
Err ftp://ftp.varesearch.com stable/apps Packages
  TYPE failed, server said: Please login with USER and PASS.
Get:1 ftp://ftp.varesearch.com stable/apps Release
Err ftp://ftp.varesearch.com stable/apps Release
  Unable to fetch file, server said 'Please login with USER and PASS.  '
Hit http://debian.midco.net unstable/contrib Release
--------------------- End ----------------------------

	Our FTP proxy works like the following (note the directions it gives
you are not the way it really works).  The server can't be too strange
because, for example, the Win95 program WS_FTP can be configured to work with
the proxy by choosing type "USER with no PASS":

-------------------- Begin ----------------------------

wz5000% ftp internet
Connected to internet.cmg.fcnbd.com.
220-=======    First Chicago NBD FTP proxy server   =========
220-
220-At prompt enter your username and password.
220-
220-After authenticated to the proxy,  you can connect to remote
220-
220-server using the following syntax:
220-
220-user username@ftp.company.com
220-
220 Enter "ctl-D or bye" to exit proxy.
Name (internet:boonstb): anonymous@ftp.gatekeeper.com
331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO ftp.gatekeeper.com----)
331-(220 cajon.cfg.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-academ[BETA-17](1) Wed
Jun 10 20:12:28 PDT 1998) ready.)
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> quit