[wtopa@mindspring.com: Re: (Fwd) Re: Puzzling Problem with Parallel Port]

----- Forwarded message from Wayne Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com> -----

Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:25:24 -0400
From: Wayne Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com>
To: "David B.Teague" <dbt@cs.wcu.edu>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: Puzzling Problem with Parallel Port

	Date: Thu, May 27, 1999 at 01:02:30PM -0400

Quoting David B.Teague(dbt@cs.wcu.edu):

> On Tue, 18 May 1999, Wayne Topa wrote:
>
> > 	Subject: (Fwd) Re: Puzzling Problem with Parallel Port

> > Quoting jeb(jeb@starflight.com):
> > > Is there anyway I can check what IRQ or address space the module
> > > thinks it is supposed to be using?
> >
> > Why use(waste) an IRQ on the printer.  I use polling and saved and
> > saved the IRQ for my sound board.
>
> Wayne
>
> Please tell me what you did to set up polling to to save that IRQ.
> Polling for printers takes very little resoruces, I just don't
> know how to do it.

Well lets see if I remember (it was 4 years ago).

As I use a separate board for my serial & parallel ports, I
disabled the irq for the printers on the board. ie I pulled the
jumper.  I left the address jumpered to the default.  In my lilo.conf
I had to ldd the line append = "lp=0x378,0".  IIRC  I then
just rebooted and got the lpt1 (polling) line in dmesg.

I now use 2.2.9 and the append changed to
append  = "video=vesa:ypan,nopal lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
so dmesg now shows
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
parport1: PC-style at 0x278 [SPP,PS2]
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
parport1: no IEEE-1284 device present.
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
lp1: using parport1 (polling).

If you are using the parallel port on the motherboard I believe you
can disable the IRQ in the CMOS setup.  I am pretty sure that this
works as I was told about this IRQ saving method by some Win95 guys
(back before I discovered Linux) and I am sure that they were using
motherboard printer ports.

I have lp compiled in as a module now and the above also worked when
the parallel port was compiled into the kernel.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

Wayne

--
"You must realize that the computer has it in for you.  The irrefutable
proof of this is that the computer always does what you tell it to do."

----- End forwarded message -----

--
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice
versa.