Re: update-menus

	Subject: update-menus
	Date: Thu, May 27, 1999 at 06:00:34PM +0200

Quoting Fabien(fabien@cur-archamps.fr):
> Hello.
>
> I have tried to use update-menus for local applications (not from debian
> package).
>
> In man menufile, they say :
> <<  Each menuentry specifies what pack­
>        age it depends on, if that package is not  installed,  the
>        menuentry will be ignored by update-menus(1).  (In a menu­
>        entry you can  specify  pseudo-packages  that  start  with
>        "local",  update-menus will always use those menuentries).
> >>

> So I have tried it, in /etc/menu (I think it's the good place for it)
> and also in /usr/lib/menu
> But, it doesn't work...
> this  is my localmenu :
> ?package(localnetscape):needs=x11 command="/usr/local/bin/netscape"
> section=Apps
> /Net title="Netscape"
>
> Yes, I know : there is a netscape package, but this is not the problem.

Fabien

  I brought up a similar problem 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Ther was a very
nice discussion on the update-menus operation.  You might check the
archives for details.

For your problem, if its not a Debian package, do something this:
less /etc/menu/gtcd
?package(local.gtcd):needs="x11" icon="none" section="Apps/Sound"
title="Gtcd" command="/usr/X11R6/bin/gtcd"

All on the same line of course.  Note the ?package(local.gtcd).  Thats
what got it working here.

HTH, YMMV, HAND

--
Real computer scientists don't comment their code.  The identifiers are
so long they can't afford the disk space.