Re: DNS lookup with Netscape 4.5, 4.51 and 4.6

Stephan Engelke wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> on my slink system I have noticed the following behavoiur:
>
> Whenever I start Netscape (version >= 4.51) it tries perform a DNS lookup
> of my local hostname (terra.local.universe.de).  After approx. 5 minutes
> the page finally loads.
>
> I am using the glibc2/unsupported versions of Netscape.
> There is an apache webserver running on port 80, which is supposed to
> serve the starting page. The system is its own DNS server with its own
> database. Neiter lynx nor nslookup run into this timeout.
> The hostname is properly resolved.
> The syslog tells me, that named tries to contact one of its forwarders;
> these forwarders are machines my ISP provides, therefore I get the
> errormessage "network unreachable" if I am not connected. When I am
> connected to my ISP Netscape 4.51+ starts fine.
>
> Netscape 4.5 does not have this problem!  I have not changed
> the user specific configuration files.  All "smart" functions are disabled.
>
> Has anyone notices this behaviour, too?
> If so, what might cause the problem - what could I do to solve it?

Can you tell what named is trying to look up?  When I run named with the
'-d 3' option, it dumps very detailed lookup info into
/var/named/named.run.  Look for the 'req: nlookup' line (should be after
the 'datagram' from 127.0.0.1) to see what it's trying to find.  It's
probably trying to interact with Netscape's site in some way.  Keep us
updated.  I'd like to know if there's a good reason not to upgrade, or
how to get around the problem you're seeing.