Re: Making Makefiles

Hi Brad,

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 01:47:29AM -0500, Brad wrote:

> i'm getting started writing C/C++ programs that are more than one file
> long, so i decided it's about time i learn to make a makefile. The make
> info page mentions automake, the automake manpage hints at configure.in...
> i'm getting confused!

automake and friends are used to create the GNU-style configure
scripts (which in turn generate Makefiles).  I am sure you have seen those.
The configure-scripts are nice and easy to handle as far as automatic
variable substitution goes (prefix=,...)

This is not what make does: make simply checks the exsiting object
files and starts  a selective recompilation and link process if
necessary.

Check the "make" info files again, they contain a pretty good
introduction, including examples.  For the beginning automake is
probably a touch too "advanced" :-)

> What's a good way to learn to make good makefiles?

Stick to the info files and look at other people's Makefiles - just
remember to have your own idea about what's good for you and what's
not.

So long -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
                        *** Spare in der Schweiz, dann hast Du in der Not. ***