Re: high load but idle CPU

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Joey Hess wrote:

> George Bonser wrote:
> > Any process involved with heavy net activity in an SMP system with 2.2.3
> > will do this. I had problems with web servers doing it. 2.2.9 seems OK.
> > 2.2.6/7 were disasters. 2.2.5 seemed to work, though.
>
> Hm, could you expand on that? I've been using 2.2.7 for a while, what
> problems does it have?

Problems with processes hanging in D state. Usually network application
under high load. (Very busy web servers, etc). I have only noticed it on
SMP systems (server farm of dual 450MHz P-II's in my case). Tried 2.2.7
several times. It just did not work. I am testing 2.2.9 on one machine now
and so far, so good. If it works, I will be replacing 2.2.5 on the other
four machines.