Re: Boot probblem with xdm

*- On 26 May, Armin Wegner wrote about "Re: Boot probblem with xdm"

> I don't use xdm. I always start X with xinit. So I can set the color depth
> to the value I need each time.

You could instead have multiple xdm sessions on different vt's, each
with a different color depth. Edit your /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and add a
server line for each color depth.

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt10 -bpp 8
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt11 -bpp 16
:2 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt12 -bpp 32

Then just log into the xdm session with the color depth that you want.

If you wanted to get a little more elaborate you could copy the
/etc/X11/xdm/Xresource_0 file to Xresource_[1|2] for each display and
edit the 'xlogin*greeting: Debian GNU/Linux (CLIENTHOST)' line to
indicate to the user what color depth that it will run, something like
'login*greeting: Debian GNU/Linux [16 bpp] (CLIENTHOST)'.  Then modify
the xdm-config to point to each Xresource file.

DisplayManager._0.resources:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0
DisplayManager._1.resources:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_1
DisplayManager._2.resources:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_2
--
Brian