Re: Printing under slink

	Subject: Printing under slink
	Date: Tue, May 25, 1999 at 11:37:07AM +0530

Quoting XRDLAB(mysxrd@giasbg01.vsnl.net.in):
> Hi,
>
> Under hamm, I could print plain text files with the command "lpr
> filename". After upgrading to slink, the printer does not print
> anything with the same command. "lpq" shows that the job is pending.
> If I try to do "lprm job_num", the system does not respond. I have to
> press ctrl-c, to get back the prompt. I am using a custom kernel
> wherein the parallel port support is loaded as a module. I have
> checked this with the lsmod command also. But for a text file, I can
> do cat filename >/dev/lp0. What can be done to restore the old
> behaviour? Anything else to be done for lprm to behave properly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> sridhar

Have to guess (?) that you are using a 2.2.x kernel, why else would
you try cat filename >/dev/lp0.  When you do that, does it print??
If it does then you might have forgotten to change your /etc/printcap.
The old kernels used lp1 as the first printer, while the 2.2.x kernels
now use lp0.  Most, but not all, forget to change the printcap file.

Hope This Helps.

--
The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much.
Wayne T. Topa <wtopa@mindspring.com>