ipmasq and getting disconnected.

hey.

i have an old 486 setup to run ppp via a dsl line.  i then have a network on
the 192.168.10.0/24 network setup behind it for my and my girlfriends
laptop. i have ipmasq running (default debian 2.0.36 kernel) and everything
works great, except ...

when i'm ssh'd into remote hosts from my laptop it seems that i'm getting
idle'd off. so long as i'm actively using a window it works great, but if it
leave it connected for a while untouched, the window disappears as soon as i
try and type something.  i thought that maybe i was getting disconnected and
automatically reconnecting with a different ip address but that's not it.

this never happens when i'm connected at work via ethernet, or when i used
to plug the dsl line directly into my laptop so i'm guessing it an ipmasq
'feature'.

does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?  it's rather annoying.

thanks,
adam.