Re: Kernel 2.2 Upgrade questions

Quoting shaleh@clifford.livenet.net (shaleh@clifford.livenet.net):

> > I heard that the new kernel is very modular. Does this mean I can have a
> > lean mean kernel and include only the modules I need? Is SMP turned on by
> > default? If so would it make sense to turn it off for single processor
> > systems so as to get better performance?
> >
> [...]
> SMP is not on by default, and most of the kernel can be a module.  IMPORTANT:
> do not make the driver for your hard drive be a module.  If you have an IDE
> hard drive compile IDE in the kernel.  Modules are nice, but remember that if
> you use the module all the time, you gained nothing from it being a module.

That's not quite true. Occasionally (more frequently under 2.0.36 than
2.0.34) my 3c509 network driver screws up. The fact that it is a
module loaded in /etc/modules means I don't have to reboot, just
restart the network with a script that rmmods and insmods the module
amongst other necessities.

Cheers,