Re: apt-get problem

Debian Mail wrote:

> > X has been reorganized.  xterm is in its own package and startx is in
> > xbase-clients.
>
> Is there a way to get to such vital information without looking up
> changes for every installed file or bugging people here on the list?

	xfree86-common is the base package for the dependency 'tree' of
the rest of the X packages.  If you install this package (look at
its description in dselect first), look at the README in
/usr/doc/X11.  It explains the new architecture.

> Don't the xserver packages depend on xbase-clients? If yes, why wasn't
> it installed by apt-get?

	xbase-clients is a collection of miscellaneous X programs, like
startx and the number of small utility type programs.  This has
nothing to do with X servers, so there is no dependency connection
between the two packages.

> Also xterm seems to be rather important to me. Is there some better
> terminal installed as default?

	No X terminal is installed by 'default'.  The reason xterm is in
its own package is because there are several options here.  You
could also have rxvt or eterm.  They are not mutually exclusive
either, so you could install all of them if you wish.

--
Ed C.