Re: [Help] Memory

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Mr. (Ms.) Gary L. Hennigan wrote:

 > It's probably something strange going on with the BIOS function used
 > by linux to detect the amount of memory in your computer. I have two
 > suggestions you can try:
 >
 > 1) Manually edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a line like:
 >
 > append="mem=160M"
 >
 > or, if you already have an "append" line add it to the line like:
 >
 > append="floppy=thinkpad,mem=160M"
 >
 > 2) Alternatively, upgrade to kernel 2.0.36 or higher. Starting with
 > 2.0.36 the memory detection uses an extended BIOS call to get the
 > amount of memory and this could solve your problem. If Windows can
 > properly find the amount of RAM then a Linux kernel >= 2.0.36 will
 > also, since they use the same BIOS call.
 >
 > Gary

Thanks alot for your helpfull advice. I have installed the 2.0.36
kernel and it seems to work well with the memory but the system
itself is unstable. Sometimes, expecially when I run big programs,
the system comes down with the message like "Segmentation fault".
But when I set the memory to 32M, 64M, or 128M, the system works well.
What does this mean? Could this be a kernel's bug?

P.S. To Khalid EZZARAOUI <ezak@cybercable.fr>, Thanks for your help.

--
Nguyen Hai Ha, <nguyen@kuis.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University, Japan