Re: Debian applications - where to get them???

i run potato, so the packages i mention might not be available for slink.
You could always try recompiling from source (if available)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Nadarajah, Dinesh wrote:

> I am running into problems getting applications for Debian.
>
> 1.	I wanted to get the Communicator 4.5 and so I checked the Debian
> archives. There is a listing for Communicator 4.5 but when I add up the file
> sizes, they don't match nowhere close to the Netscape Binary posting (of
> around 12MB). Are there any other files that I should be installing along
> with these (there are no other dependencies shown on the package listing)
> ???

There's two ways to do it. One way is to get the tarball from netscape.com
and use the installer package (netscape4). The other way is to install the
10 or so deb packages that make for a full install.
communicator-base-4x
communicator-nethelp-4x
communicator-[sd]motif-4x
communicator-spellchk-4x
navigator-base-4x
navigator-[sd]motif-4x
netscape-base-4x
netscape-java-4x
netscape-[sd]motif-4x
netscape-base-4

i believe that the "-[sd]motif-4x" packages depend on all the other
necessary ones...

> 2.	I have seen posting on Real G2 player for Linux but I could not find
> it at www.real.com <http://www.real.com> . Is there a G2 player for Linux
> yet or is it still version 5.0?

There's an alpha version, but it seems to work pretty good. i've only had
two problems so far: it refuses to open files with a '#' in the name, and
it crashes reliably on certain ra files.

There's an installer package, "realplayer". When you try to install it, it
tells you where to download the package from (and to put it in /tmp when
you've gotten it). Hang on a sec, i'll look it up....
http://www.real.com/products/player/linux.html

> 3.	I wanted to download x11amp (also called winamp in the Windows
> world)

Actually, it's not "also called". They're different programs, they just
look the same. x11amp is being designed with winamp's gui in mind

> to play MP3 files but could not find it anywhere. Any suggestions on
> where I might be able to get a copy (preferably in .deb format)? (Any
> suggestions for a better player are also welcome :-)  ).

There's a package, appropriately named "x11amp". If it's not available in
slink, you can get the source from Debian. Or, you could go straight to
www.x11amp.org and get the source from there.

As for other players, look through the sound section of the Debian
archives. There're quite a few in there. i don't know the merits of any of
them, i use x11amp for X and amp for console if i feel the need for a song
without wanting to start X.