Re: Installing Base System from Floppies

Xela Wren wrote:

> I am trying to install the latest stable Debian on a Dell 486DX and am running into trouble installing teh base system.  Having tried it with FOUR different sets of install floppies (no CD, no network connection, no other machine nearby) I always get the same message when it finishes copying the 7 install disks and begins extracting the base2_1.tgz file:  Error extracting file.
>
> The REALLY strange thing is that when I try to install the Base System again it will stop in between disks 6 & 7 (once between 5 & 6 and once between 4 & 5) after having copied the whole disk with no problem and will display an error somtehing to the effect of, "Error outputting file: Success".  THis happens whenever I try to install the Base System again without starting the installation from scratch.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks for helping the newbie in advance.

It's been a while, but isn't the base2_1.tgz file the large
all-floppy-images-in-one file? The one that you'd download to a hard
drive to do an install from an existing hard drive partition? I don't
know if this has any relevance to your situation, but it MIGHT be a
clue.