Installing libc6_2.1.1-7 on hamm

I have a mixed system with a hamm base and slink and potato packages.  I
want to try out a cd writer (HP 7200i) and to do that want to install a
new version of cdrecord as hamm's version does not support the drive.

cdrecord depends on libc6 > 2.1.

When I try to install libc6 the following happens.

apt-get -f install libc6
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.0.7t-1) but 2.1.1-7 is installed
  libc6: Conflicts: timezones but 2.0.7t-1 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

As far as I can see libc6-2.1.1-7 replaces libc6-dev.  Why does apt not
remove the old libc6-dev and install the package?

I am only beginning to use apt and I am not sure whether I must go backp
to dpkg -i to install what I want to install. Would that be dangerous in
this situation?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully
      made..."       Psalms 139:14