Re: Debian applications - where to get them???

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Nadarajah, Dinesh wrote:

> I am running into problems getting applications for Debian.
>
> 1.	I wanted to get the Communicator 4.5 and so I checked the Debian
> archives. There is a listing for Communicator 4.5 but when I add up the file
> sizes, they don't match nowhere close to the Netscape Binary posting (of
> around 12MB). Are there any other files that I should be installing along
> with these (there are no other dependencies shown on the package listing)
> ???

If you just install the debs you see on the site, you will be fine.  If I
were you, I'd use dselect or apt to make sure all dependences are met.

> 3.	I wanted to download x11amp (also called winamp in the Windows
> world) to play MP3 files but could not find it anywhere. Any suggestions on
> where I might be able to get a copy (preferably in .deb format)? (Any
> suggestions for a better player are also welcome :-)  ).

goto www.x11amp.com (or x11amp.org I can't remember which) and the newest
x11amp will be available for download in .deb format.  You can also get
the source and compile the newest version that hasn't been officially
released yet.

								Rob

ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1998-99
Aka Khyron the Backstabber : ICQ# 2325055
Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh

"Happiness comes in short spurts.  Don't be fooled."