Re: 2.0.36 source .deb - installs REDHAT dir - piss take?

From: Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de>

>> "MW" == Martin Waller <polytope_@hotmail.com> writes:

MW> I don't know what's going on, but when I try to install (from my
MW> slink CD) the 2.0.36 kernel package .deb, I get a 2.0.36 aource
MW> .tgz under /usr/src

Yes, this is intended. You unpack it when you need it (with tar xfvz )
and it is also easier to handle by the packages manager.

so this has changed from hamm then which used to unpack it all for you and make the link from /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/<kernel version> ?

MW> (with a rehat package icon under tkdesk...!)

I don't know tkdesk, but if it uses a red hat icon for tarballs, then
I would call it a bug. Use the bug package to report it.

MW> and a directory under /usr/src of REDHAT, with al it's associated
MW> sub dirs!

It you install the rpm package, it will create these directories, as
you can check with dpkg -S /usr/src/redhat.

Ah - that explains it.  Excuse my confusion!  It all makes sense now.

Martin