Re: sourcing the new install

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 10:19:15PM -0500, fairfax@pclink.com wrote:
> I am about to buy a 6GB HDD to supplement the two full 1.6GB HDDs I have, and
> then I plan to load slink on my system.  I have usually bought the CDs, but
> the resellers I have seen on the net don't seem to include the non-free or
> non-US, and besides, loading a portion of the total package (even if only the
> non-free) takes up valuable archive space on my system.
>
> So, I am thinking about mirroring slink onto my system from ftp.debian.org, but
> I was wondering (a) how much drive space I can plan on devoting to the mirror,
> (b) how much drive space I can plan on leaving open for future additions, and
> (c) how much trouble it is to install a mirror and keep it up to date.
>
> (That is the other reason I was thinking of just mirroring this stuff -- I can
> always count on my distribution being up to date that way.)  Is there any
> provision for automatically installing upgraded packages, or of informing me
> of which packages have been upgraded?
>
> Steven C. Martin
>

> --

Sounds like more trouble that it is work. Slink packages (usually) don't change,
because they are the stable distribution. Right now, packages in unstable are
changing. I use apt-get in the apt package to do what you want to do,
keep my system up to date.
To install a package: use "apt-get install packagename" and it will go to the
Internet, to a CD-ROM, whatever, to download and install the package.
To update your list of packages (I use cron to do this every night), use
"apt-get update"
To install all upgrades, use "apt-get dist-upgrade".
--
Stephen Pitts
smpitts@midsouth.rr.com