Re: Can someone "fake" a debian package?

I know this is an old thread but I don't think anyone responded with
this response:

There is someone working on KDE- his name is Ivan Moore, this was posted
here a week or so ago- here is where to find the debs:

http://snowcrash.tdyc.com/debian/dists/

>From what I have seen Ivan has been putting some work into this, the
packages have been changing to newer revisions and I have seen some bugs
disappearing.  The last time I checked kworldwatch was not working and a
couple of other little things, this may have changed.  Kasteriods is
missing some graphics and doesn't work either.  Except for that it works
quite well from my experience.  Like I said, he has been working on it
and I expect to see these problems disappear if they haven't already.

On the general subject of "faking" debian packages.  I am a convert to
alien- it doesn't always work (I think this is due to bad rpms) but
usually it does.  Just type "alien [name of rpm file]" and boom- instant
package.  if you type "dpkg - I [name of debian package]" then deselect
will give you most of what you need to make an entry in a packages file
for all of your locally maintained packages.  Just look at the archives
and see how those package files are formatted, I have been adding a
"filename" entry, apt apparently needs this (it can be kind of tricky to
get right).  Doing this you can have apt or deselect keep track of these
mavrick packages for you.  Read the packages.list man page too.

I realize this is an abbreviated description- if you really want me to,
bug me and I'll go into it in more detail.  Anyway, its not for
everybody but it is kind of nice once its done and it seems to work fine
for me.