Re: Bus error in Netscape

On Sat, 22 May 1999, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:

> Sounds dangerous...doesn't a bus error mean that the app tried to write
> into kernel space memory?  If so, wouldn't giving it root access allow it
> to overwrite kernel memory and crash the system?

Not dangerous at all. It will still not be allowed to write to kernel
protected space (root is still a user). I have had this problem with the
Netscape 4.6 on one of my systems, it will not run as a regular users
(gets a bus error) but works fine as root.

This is the communicator-smotif. If I simply run the navigator portion, it
works fine as a user. Communicator will only run as root for me on that
system with is pretty much potato.

George Bonser

Welcome to Wit's End