pseudo tty & ssh

I have Debian installed on a Sparc but I can't ssh in. Telnet'ing in
works fine, as do most other services. I receive the following error:

Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

(and then the login hangs)

I have UNIX98 ptys support in the kernel but I'm not totally sure if I
want/have to use them.

TIA.

-Ian

Ian K. Setford

PGP 2.6.3 1024/79D33BED 1999/05/10 Ian K. Setford <ian@directlink.net>
Key fingerprint = 52 D2 8D ED B7 78 4F D8  A0 1F 8C 36 58 7C D4 AA