Re: GNOME vs. KDE

In a message dated 5/21/99 8:57:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
Dinesh_Nadarajah@tri.sbc.com writes:

> 1.	Is Debian more leaning towards KDE or is this just 'news' from the
>  Corel folks? Is there a reason why they chose KDE and not GNOME?

Debian doesn't "lean" toward either of them - in fact, it is staying neutral.
 That's one of the great concepts behind Debian - let the user choose what he
needs/wants.  As for Corel, they chose KDE for one main reason - KDE is more
mature than GNOME is, simply by the fact that it has been around longer.

>  2.	Which is faster?

Too many factors to determine, but I'd guess they are both similar.  It all
depends on desktops, window managers, installed extras, PCs used, servers &
video cards used...  GNOME appeared to run slower on my machine than KDE, but
I'd attribute that to all the crap that Enlightenment loads by default - 90%
of which is not only grotesque, but useless - IMHO of course.  :)
(Enlightenment is currenlty the only window-manager that fully supports
GNOME).

>  3.	Which uses less memory and is more stable?

I don't know about memory requirements, but KDE appears to be more stable, at
least in my experience.  I haven't used GNOME in a couple of months, so that
may be changing.  I know one thing - I haven't had a lockup or crash with KDE
Yet - and I've been using it since pre-1.0 versions.

>  4.	I heard GNOME uses CORBA. What advantage does this give from a
>  system perspective where multiple applications are running?

That one I can't answer.