xf86config

I'm completely new to Linux, so apologies if this is excessively thick ...

I've been trying to get xwindows working.  I've gone through xf86config, and
then when I try 'startx' it goes into what I assume is the xwindow
environment (blue screen, mouse cursor), beeps at me and appears to hang.
Control-Alt-Backspace gets me out o.k.  I'm wondering if this is because I
am unsure of the path for my mouse driver, which I am prompted to supply
during the xf86config session.  Is there any way I can find out where/what
this is?

Steve