Re: wmware on Debian

On 20-May-99 Kent West wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 1999, Pollywog wrote:
>
>> Has anyone installed VMware on a Debian system?  There are no instructions
>> on
>> their website for Debian, only SuSE, Caldera, and RedHat.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew
>
> You got enough answers that I really don't need to throw in my $0.02, but
> here goes.
>
> I've got it running on a Gateway2000 E3000 (P5-233) w/ 64MB RAM. I didn't
> have any real trouble installing it (except that I'm still enough of a
> Dewbie to not really know what I'm doing). I've got WinNT running in a
> window and Win95 running in a window next to that; both have been
> allocated 32MB RAM. They both perform fairly well (about like how a
> Timbuktu (or PCAnywhere?) session over an ethernet LAN performs). I'm only
> using it as a demo of what can be accomplished, but everything I've thrown
> at it (except for one game) works well (but then I haven't thrown
> EVERYTHING at it).

Interesting, it was installing for me on my 266MHz machine with 64MB RAM and
it was also allocated 32MB for the Win95 VM.  I was installing from disks, and
it was so slow that I assumed the finished product would be very slow also, so
I aborted the installation.

It gave me an error about a timing file not being found, but went on to try to
install anyway.

--
Andrew