Re: wmware on Debian

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 05:45:06PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:

> On 20-May-99 Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > The non-commercial price is discounted to $75 until mid-July and they
> > still offer a 30-day free trial evaluation license.  You need to re-run
> > the install script when upgrading kernels, since it installs some
> > modules.  I'm running potato/kernel 2.2.9 and am about to dump my Win95
> > partition and mount /home in that space.
>
> I tried installing it and it complained about not finding some timing file but
> proceeded to install Win95 anyway.  It was a strain on my system and very slow
> to install from floppies.  I reasoned the finished product would also be very
> slow with only 64MB RAM, so I aborted the installation.

That was probably /dev/rtc.  You need to compile that option into your
kernel.

I originally tried it with a P-150/40 MB and it was too slow to be
useful.  I now have a K6-2/350 with 64 MB and it is significantly
slower than native Win95, but fast enough to be useful.

> I will have to be patient with WINE.

I haven't tried WINE recently.  It seemed fine with some games, and I
got quicken to run partially, but wouldn't want to rely on it.  I guess
I should give it another try.

Bob