Re: Life at 4 bogomips

On Sun, 16 May 1999, R. Brock Lynn wrote:

> " Raymond A. Ingles" wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 May 1999, George Bonser wrote:
> > > Well I got the old 386 put back together [...] Now it is running
> > > Debian and MAN is it S-L-O-W.
[...]
> > > I guess I won't be compiling any kernels on that box ... well, maybe ONE
> > > just to see how long it takes.
>
> >  Okay, now *that's* going to take quite a while on a modern kernel. Hope
> > you've got a week or two to spare. :->
>
> The average compile time for a kernel, (1.2.8ish or so) on the 486sx/25
> 6MB took about 6 hours.

 A 386 is just plain slower than a 486, even at the same clock speed.
Intel did a lot of profiling and made the most commonly-executed
instructions faster (and slowed some uncommon ones down). I've heard of
compile times in the weeks on modern kernels. I haven't tried it on Irving
yet, but from compiling a few toy programs I wouldn't be surprised...

> >  On the other hand, let me tell you about coding under Minix on an 8088
> > w/512K of RAM... :->
>
> Heh, let's try not to start another flame fest with Andy Tannenbaum... ;^) ...
> You never never know *what* something like that can lead to... (=:]

 Well, considering that linux-8086 can't compile *anything* yet by itself,
Andy's actually slightly ahead. :->

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 If all the muscles in your body pulled in the same direction, you
  could lift over twenty tons. But you'd walk funny. - L. M. Boyd