Problems compiling gtk+ applications.

My name's Blaise, coming out of Paris France.
I'm trying to compile and install gtk+ applications with an update of
the gtk library.
I complete the installation of new glib and new gtk+ lib.
I heard that gtk lib is in fact composed of glib, gtk and imlib.
So, I have a new glib and a new gtk on my /usr/local/lib directory, and
my old imlib from my Redhat 5.2 distribution on /usr/lib.
When I'm running the 'configure' file of the application I wanna
install, I first get an error message telling that it's not finding the
right path to the gtk library. It's a problem I went through exporting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct path. Then when I'm running again the
configure file, it says that the gtk has been found but that there's
another problem with imlib this time: it says that imlib was not
correctly installed or moved since installed. So I tried to uninstall
imlib and imlib-devel RPM and then install them back. But the same
problem is occuring.
I'm deeply down and out because I got a bunch of terrific gtk apps that
are waiting for gtk to get to work at last!

Thanx in advance.

Blouze.