apt-get: no more telnet

I did an update and upgrade with apt-get. While configuring the
packages, apt-get stoped with an error while configuring xemacs. How
can I now configure the rest of the packages?

It's now also impossible to do a telnet to that machine. I checked in
/etc/inetd.conf and saw, that the telnet line was commented out. So I
removed the # at the beginning of the line, and restarted inetd. Now
the following happens when I want to do a telnet:

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to host.somewhere.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Also rlogin was commented out. Removing that # however solved the
problem and I can rlogin now.
But still telnet is not possible.

Stef