Re: mount drive through internet?

David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Keith G. Murphy (keithmur@mindspring.com):
> > True, but does anyone do this?  Seems kind of bandwidth-wasteful, and
> > like it would be slow.  Sounds like a connection-oriented protocol like
> > FTP would be more like what the doctor ordered...
> >
> > Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > >
> > > You will need to set it up on the remote computer for NFS.

> I can't much any resemblance between NFS and FTP.

No, the only resemblance was in their possible ability to perform the
underlying (not stated) objective.  Which I imagined might be to get
files.  But I probably presumed too much there.  It was the
*non*-resemblance that made me think he might want FTP instead, which I
figured, being (perhaps) more client-driven, might be more efficient
over the Internet.

> The great thing about NFS is that the client doesn't have to worry about
> the continuous presence of the server once the filesystem is mounted.
> If the server is rebooted, for example, the filesystem just reappears
> at the client end.

I probably shouldn't have jumped in on a subject about which I have so
much ignorance, but what fun would that be?  :-)

Does NFS not broadcast continually to advertise its services?  Does it
work efficiently in an Internet (vs. intranet) situation?  (And is it
better than SMB in these respects?)  As they sing in "Rock Lobster",
"I'm just askin'".