Re: Separate list for newbies

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Khalid EZZARAOUI wrote:

> I was thinking about a solution about this and found that it
> could be a good thing to add in the mailing list all 200
> messages an official message in the list that explan what is the
> archive list, the LDP , the FAQ and some usefull information.
> (and of course where to find them)  this mail must be send in
> the first subscription and automaticaly added all 200 messages.

Hi Khalid, Sean, and Jean-Yves:

Perhaps all of the references should not be automatically inserted
into all messages.  I think certainly ALL this should be in the
subscription confirmation, but put just a pointer to the various
places information can be found should be appended, perhaps like
the unsubscribe line that is already appended.

Unfortunately the unsubscribe line doesn't work for folk who don't
know the shell, which means most newbies, particularly those
likely to wish to unsubscribe.

Referring to the FAQ: I pointed out /usr/doc/*, the READMEs from
packages, the man and info pages. I asked about the FAQ you and
others mention. jean-Yves BARBIER <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr> (thanks
JYB) kindly referred me to the mailing list archives, which most
certainly is valuable and should be included in sources of
information.  However, I still don't know where a Debian FAQ may
be found!

Can one of you provide a pointer or a URL?

David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                        (Thanks guys!)