Re: weird problem after using xf86config

  First I tried XF86Setup, but could not get past the mouse config.  I
  have a Microsoft PS2 mouse with wheel, so checked off PS2 and /dev/psaux
  (as suggested in the Control-Escape website).  This didn't work, and I
  couldn't get past this point in XF86Setup, so I tried xf86config.

It's possible that you haven't got the ps2 module loaded...edit your
/etc/modules file as root and add the line "psaux" to the file, and the
module should be loaded automatically at boot time...

% lsmod
will show you what modules are loaded.

  It seemed to go well, and I believe that I entered all the parameters
  correctly.  I used SuperProbe to learn that I have an ATI 3D Rage II+
  with 2048K of memory and the ATI Mach64 chipset.  Now when I start Linux
  I get a colorful screen with the sign-on prompt.  After signing on I get
  a solid blue screen, and any key that I hit just "beeps."  The key
  sequence Ctl-Alt-Bksp just re-displays the sign-on screen.  All I can do
  at this point is turn the power off; even Ctl-Alt-Del won't do anything!

Alright...sounds like you've installed xdm...

Ctrl-Alt-Fn will switch you out of the X windows display and back to the
console prompt.  You can do whatever editing you need to do from
there... (where Fn is one of the function keys...)

What X server are you running?
Also, does your mouse work in when you log in to X?
It's possible that the window manager you're using beeps when you hit
keys and there's no window to accept them....usually you can get a menu
by pusing one of the mouse buttons (which one depends on the
configuation of the wm...)