Asking for information

HI,
 I'm a linux beginner who comes from de world of Windows NT and I'm getting a little crazy.
I have installed liinux without many problems, KDE and apache and I am working with they all
reasonably well. But I haven't my ideas very clear yet.
I don't understand the way liinux uses to assign the permissions.
I've been studying the chmod command but I would like ot know quite more.
¿WHere can I find information about it? ¿HOw do I now what can (and can't) do a group or another?
¿How do I define new groups?
I don't know if all my problems come from my NT chip ;-), but please,
send me some Internet addresses or similar to learn a bit more.
Thanks in advance