w3/xemacs and proxy

Hi all:

I'm having a problem using w3 as regular user. I have to use proxy for
http, and I have an environment variable
HTTP_PROXY=http://fasthttp.sympatico.ca:80 set for both root and my
normal user accounts. When I run xemacs with identical .emacs files as
root and as a user, w3 fails to open any http url in the latter
case. It is able to browse file:// or ftp://... The error message is
attatched below.

w3 works fine if I run xemacs as root. Could it be some file
permissions problem? Netscape works fine.

I've asked this in *emacs* newsgroups, with no success. Could it be a
Debian issue? I also tried setting corresponding lisp variable in
.emacs.

Hoping for a solution,
TIA!

Could not contact host: www.cs.indiana.edu / 80 Attempted using gateway