Re: laser postscript BW printer versus ink jet printer.

shaulk@netvision.net.il (shaul) wrote:
> I am considering what printer to buy.
> With today low cost (< $400) laser postscript BW printers, they seem
> appealing. But is there really a reason to spend 2 times the sum of
> money on
> this kind of printer ? Perhaps a $200 new ink jet, maybe a color one,
> should
> be preferred ?

I bought a Brother 1050 laser printer and am very pleased indeed that I
did. I also have an HP 690C but have found inkjets painfully slow to
print. The Brother is extremely fast and allows me to print out web
pages without hassle. The quality of laser printing is just as good, if
not better, under Linux as under Windows - the same cannot usually be
said about inkjets.

There is also the issue of economy. The cost per page is a lot lower
with a laser than with an inkjet. I have just bought my first toner
cratridge at a cost af around 13 UKP (20 US Dollars). I have printed
absolutely loads of things - much more than I could with an inkjet
cratridge costing nearly twice as much.

At the end of the day, do you *really* need colour?

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net