Re: RPM packages

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Eber de Castro Diniz wrote:

> Hi guys...
>
> Hope you could help me... I've downloaded some RPM files and I'd like
> install it...
> I've heard that's pretty possible to convert .rpm files to .deb...
but
> how?
>
> Is it really possible? If so, it will cause any damage to my system?

Alien can be used to install binary packages, but it does so outside of
the dpkg database.  (Actually if you run deselect these packages appear
in the installed list of packages, but AFAIK dpkg will not be able to
do anything with them, and reports them as unknown).  So you should NOT
use alien to install ANY package that contains static libraries
required by the rest of the system.  HOWEVER it should be safe to
install application binaries that NOTHING else depends on.  As an
example I have installed the netscape communicator that came with
Redhat on my hamm (upgraded to slink) system by using alien.
===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....